The mission of Pet Sitters International
is to foster excellence and
continuous learning in the pet-sitting profession by providing the best education and tools of the trade. Our Recommended
Quality Standards for Excellence in Pet Sitting reflect the values that exemplify industry leaders. These practices set the benchmark for professional pet sitters
and serve as a set of guidelines for every PSI
member to use in decisions that affect business ethics,procedures and professionalism. Professionals earn the pet-owning public’s
trust and loyalty by consistently using these practices:
PSI’s Recommended Quality Standards for Excellence in Pet SittingBest Business Practices
• The pet-sitting business provides references; screens pet sitters adequately,
and, upon request, provide proof of clean criminal
history of all they assign to enter the homes of pet owners.
• The pet-sitting business provides initial and ongoing training for its sitters and/or establishes standards that its independent contractors must
meet to qualify for pet-sitting assignments.
• maintains current and adequate bonding and liability
insurance. visits the client’s home before the first pet-sitting assignment to meet the pets and obtain/record detailed
information about specific needs.
• provides materials or online access to descriptions of
services and fees.
• utilizes a legally compliant, written service contract
to clarify services, fees, visit schedule, time allocated per visit and all other agreements, thereby establishing clear expectations
in advance for both parties.
• takes precautions to make sure a client’s absence
from home is not detectable because of careless actions or disclosures by the sitter.
• has systems in place to ensure the security of home keys in his or her possession.
• confirms client’s return and has pre-agreed arrangements
for continued care in the event that the client is delayed or detained by emergency.
• has a contingency plan for pet care in case of inclement weather or personal illness.
• solicits service feedback from clients and responds appropriately.
• responds to client inquiries and complaints promptly.
• has a veterinarian on call for emergency service.
• is courteous, interested and well-educated in the disciplines
of pet sitting.
Animal Care & StewardshipThe sitter:
• learns as much as possible about the routines, behaviors
and needs of animals in his orher care.
• has adequate experience in caring for pets and is knowledgeable
in pet first aid to best protect their safety and well being.
• understands and upholds local ordinances and laws applicable to animals in their service areas.
Ethical Conduct The sitter:
• exhibits courtesy and professionalism in all dealings with customers, staff andindustry colleagues to positively represent the pet sitter and the pet-sitting industry.
• conducts business with honesty and integrity and observes
all federal, state and locallaws pertaining to
• refrains from criticizing competitors and voices concerns
to industry associatesin a respectful manner.
• demonstrates ethical standards in all business transactions.